Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I realize I posted earlier today, but I have just read my favorite paper the New London Day on line, an I am amazed at what is happening in East Lyme. In the last week, teenagers gone wild, have broken into 2 houses while people are on vacation and trashed the house by having a party and on Monday, someone vandelised buses in the lot so school had to be cancelled for Tuesday. What is going on?

"On a Web site initially devoted to supporting one of the three teenagers who so far have been arrested on burglary and criminal-mischief charges, the stated mission had changed. No longer was “Keep the Trevolution Alive” focused on the way in which “The Man” was keeping a student named Trevor down. "

The mission statement continued: “They're top priority...wat happened to trev and all our friends isnt reversible...but wat happened to the balantics house is. Lets get the ball rollin everybody and raise some money.”

There is a webpage out there supporting what these "children" have done. My question is what right do these "children" have, or what gave them an idea that it was o.k., to break into houses and throw a party on someone elses dime and place? What has society, tv or their parents taught them?

When I watch MTV (not that often), an the shows basically show that kids feel entitled to everything. Watch "My sweet 16" sometime an see how these kids treat their parents regarding what they "deserve" for their $100,000 party, a $100,000 car too, and of course a celebrity to come to their party. I do love it when the celebrity puts them in their place, like when Cara showed up 2 hours late for the boys "Grand Entrance" or the rapper who told the spoiled brat that he is $100,000 just for an hour.

My question is yes parents teach their children values and such, but what role does society play in showing them what is right or wrong?

No comments: