Saturday, February 03, 2007

Ok, so Spring will be here early, YEAH!! That is what the Groundhog stated yesterday on " Groundhog Day", in Pennsylvania.

Here are the Orgins:

Groundhog Day, February 2nd, is a popular tradition in the United States. It is also a legend that traverses centuries, its origins clouded in the mists of time with ethnic cultures and animals awakening on specific dates. Myths such as this tie our present to the distant past when nature did, indeed, influence our lives. It is the day that the Groundhog comes out of his hole after a long winter sleep to look for his shadow.

If he sees it, he regards it as an omen of six more weeks of bad weather and returns to his hole.

If the day is cloudy and, hence, shadowless, he takes it as a sign of spring and stays above ground.

Funny thing is, we really did not seem to have a winter this year did we? It did snow here in Carolina the other day but nothing else. I hear this is unusally, we had a few 70' degrees days in January. What has happened? I hate to say this but here goes: "When I was younger?"

Storytime, ( I know how much you love these):
My story begins when I was 11 years old in 6th grade. My homeroom teacher was Mrs. Russ, my sisters had both had her as their teacher and she was Miss Hyde then, I don't think anyone thought she would get married, she did the year before I had her as a teacher. To me she was a tall woman, her room was the last one in the building and had a little cubby with books and if you have been bad you must sit there by yourself. Due to my "talking" I was there on more than one occassion.
Snow days is what we lived for, because we could stay in our pj's longer, mom got to stay home too, how cool. We lived on a hill, with many houses and many kids so much fun... Melissa my best friend and I would have snowball fights with the neighbor boys, Jack and Thom Brayman. There was a yard in between which was a Realty office run by "Ruth Scott", so we would use her yard and house there to fight the boys. If that got old or we got too hurt we would sled, there was a little hill at the Park down the street, or if really snow use the road because no one was on it. Then go in the house after hours, drink hot chocolate and watch whatever was on tv, mom would sometimes make popcorn (jiffy) over our fireplace, it was so much fun. We were lucky my mom's parents lived next door, so if mom had to work Grandma was there, she retired from teaching art a few years earlier.
Do kids still have snow days or do they play video games and time on the computer? Where was the fun with friends and neighboorhoods?"

When my husband and I decide to move, we really want our Starrs Hollow which makes me remember my neighborhood growing up, there was always people to play with, and being little girls jealously and drama... Everything touched us up on that Hill. Not to be confused with the Hills on MTV. This was a middle class neighborhood. Do you have any great stories from your past?



No comments: