Monday, February 26, 2007

Yesterday, being "Oscar" day, on all the Movies Channels TCM and ACM, was Oscar winning movies, so I caught a few minutes of West Side Story, then later in the evening saw Law & Order: CI with Rita Moreno as Bobby Goren's mom, I think it is perfect casting, even to imagine her so small having such a big guy as Bobby Goren. She was fabulous in West Side Story, along with Natalie Wood as Maria. Then I flipped around and caught glimpses of " Gone with the Wind", I hear they are thinking of doing it on Broadway with Hugh Jackman as Rhett Butler, again I think perfect casting, besides Clark Gable who can you picture as Rhett Butler today? A few years ago, I would of said Tom Selleck but now I think Hugh Jackman will be perfect for the role. My question is who is to play Scarlett? Remember in 1939, they had such a hard time filling that part, no one seemed exactly right. Every actress in Hollywood wanted that role, even Clark Gable's wife Carole Lombard wanted it, instead it went to an English Actress who personified Scarlett O'Hara, so who in today's actresses can you picture as Scarlett?

My pick Vanessa Marcil on looks alone, I am not quite sure if she can do a southern accent, but she definately can play the different aspects of the character, do you remember her on General Hospital? According to the papers this version will stick closer to the book then the 1939 movie, after watching it again last night, how can you improve on the original? I have read the book and I admit it was better than the movie, but I am a sucker for Rhett and Scarlett in flesh and blood sparing partners. Vivian Leigh was amazing, if you want to see another one of her incredible performances, watch " Streetcar named Desire", as Blanche Dubois.. Also, you get to see Marlon Brando in all his sexiness.

No comments: