Saturday, December 29, 2007

Sometimes the holidays seem a let down, do you ever feel that way? I have been with my husband since September 2003, so our first Christmas together would of been that December, the tree in his apartment was a white canvas tree, which we put red lights on, and (2) wood ornaments with x on them. My apartment had no tree, and by this time, I was spending Thursday-Sunday at his place anyway.

I noticed he did not get excited about Christmas like I do, and afterwards he was lacking in enthusiasm, here is a man who is basically a happy person. He always sees the positive in situations. I could not understand it, I know our first Christmas together was a bit overwhelming with my family, we had been together only a few months and everyone was asking when are you getting married? Or my Aunt who said, June is perfect for the wedding as if we were already engaged.

Then after our 2nd Christmas, it became a pattern, this year was our 5th Christmas together, and yes, he gets down, unproductive and down right moody. I told him, that he has a distint pattern, starting right after Thanksgiving which he seems to love, he gets down all of December and the first week of January, then he snaps out of his funk. He did not really believe me but then he looked back at his journals, and realized that I was right and my observations were worth looking into. He has now created a type of Journal to see his growth, and if any non-growth through out the years. You can see it on his latest post on www.hdbizblog.com

I was wondering who else has patterns around certain times of year? I know that I do, mine is around April 15 after the Tax Season and right before Wedding Season Begins, I freak out, that I will mess up, or one of my brides will freak out on me. Compelete anxiety, I may seem all put together when it comes to my brides, but I am wrecked with anxiety and self doubt the week of each of their weddings.

I realize that weddings are so special for each bride, and I want it to be even more perfect then the bride, because to me, with all the planning, money and time that went into it, they deserve it to be perfect. I am also realistic, and know no wedding is ever perfect, but if the bride does not see the behind the scenes and the bride and groom are so happy then I have done my job. A wedding plannners real job is to keep the day running smoothly, and basically the bride in the dark, so she can really embrace the day and not worry about what is not happening. Brides need to give up control the day of their wedding to enjoy it.

As, my husband and I approach our 3rd wedding anniversary in March, every day I am thankful for him and our life together. We might not have much but we have the most important thing, love and respect and laughter in our lives. Our wedding was the most special day, but after it was over, I was more excited to be Stephen's wife than our wedding day. Your memory may fade but my advise to all brides, remember the vows and why you are there in the first place, not that the napkin fold was wrong, or the wrong color was used on the wedding cake. It is you and he that is the most important aspect of every wedding.

No comments: