Tuesday, December 18, 2007

When I was in High School (25 years ago), I was on the Swim Team, which I loved. I was backstroker along with Bob Hines, who was #1, and I was #2, a few times we switched off depending on the times, but usually he was #1.

I remember thinking it was sexist back then because our coach was a Italian Male, who by the way could not swim, but looking back Bob deserved it, and I got over it. I saw Bob at my high school reunion this past summer, and we had such a nice time together.


I bring this up, because I was just reading my hometown paper, the New London Day on line of course, and I noticed in the Wedding Section, my old Swim Coach's daughters are both getting married in 2008. One in the Summer at Water's Edge and the other in the Fall at the Towers. I had not thought of Vinnie in such a long time. He was not the best coach, but he did his best for us, even the first season swimming at Avery Point in Groton 6pm-9pm during the week. That is where the Home Swim Meets were and being Olympic Size pool opposed to the Norwich YMCA where you would have to do 2x the laps it was a dream.

Now, if you were never on a swim team it might escape you that the sport is during the winter, so swimming in a non-heated pool and then getting out, not the best feeling in the world. We were not the best swim team, we did have some outstanding performances, our diving team did go to States, and Dave the 500, was amazing to watch. Vinnie did the best he could for us, and I hope he knows how much we appreciated his effort.


Being in the wedding business, my heart goes out to him to have 2 daughters planning their dream weddings at the same time. It does amaze me how fast time goes by as I get older, so I wanted Vinnie to know I did love my experience on the NFA Swim Team.

No comments: