Thursday, December 06, 2007

PART 1 of 3
This morning in the New London Day, which restaurant reviews come out onThursday's. He wrote his top (4) Places and why he loved them, so I have decided to kind of follow suit. My husband and I enjoy going out to dinner, and lately due to lack of funds if we are going out we make sure it is a place we love. We do not ever regret spending that money but it has to be worth it, from Atmosphere, Service and Food we look at everything. We have both been in the restaurant business so we are harsh critics. I have (2) big pet peeves when it comes to eating out, if we are seated someone should acknowledge us within 3 minutes, even if to say, " I will be right with you." If I have to wait longer than 3 minutes I am ticked off, and the tip will reflect that even if the rest of the service is good. I need acknowlegement, if I know you will be right back due to being a bit busy, I understand. They may sound harsh, I had a manager tell me within the first 30 seconds of being seated the customer has to have a napkin down to acknowledge you have been there.

My 2nd is the salt and pepper shakers and sugar caddy should be full and clean. If I can see light through the salt or pepper that is not right, and the sugar caddy should not have scum at the bottom of it.

My Friend Thomas's pet peeve, if he did not have drink in his hand within 5 minutes of sitting, he will make a scene, and the waiter better get it right and not make him send it back. Believe me, when we went out in Mystic Luckily we went to places that knew him and would have his drink waiting for him when he sits down. ( Just easier) He tormented a server in Boston once, unfortunately, the server snapped back at him, not a good scene.

Ok, here are some of my favorite restaurants and explanation:
Best Hamburger: Ready for the name: HMMMMMMMM!! Wisconsin. I had never been to Wisconsin and in March 2004 my husband took me out to meet his family in Pecatonica, IL we had become in engaged March 5, 2004 and we flew out the next week to meet the family. We were going for a drive and I mentioned I have never been to Wisconsin so we drove to Wisconsin as we crossed the border from Illnois, we saw the sign for this place and stopped and had a burger. The best ever! Thick, juicy with french fries and a beer. We loved it, the name alone got us but once you are inside worth the long drive.

Best Sushi: Singapore Grill & Sushi Bar New London, CT. Believe me, we have tried places in Chicago, Charlotte, Winston Salem, Rhode Island, Boston not yet Maine. Service alone is wonderful but they always have the freshest and the best presentations.

In any case, it's not that chef/owner Sonny Chok wants his Singapore's Grill & Sushi Bar to be some sort of exclusive restaurant savored only by a select group of insiders. Despite the pretty small confines of the dining areas and occasional short waits to get a table, it's likely that the devoted fans of the place would never begrudge newcomers the sumptuous joys therein.

To go along with the cozy but colorfully authentic atmosphere is the courteous and helpful staff, headed up by chef Sonny. He's amazing in not just his culinary skills and ambitiously realized menu, but also as a cheerleader for his fusion of Asian foods. He bustles around the restaurant, greeting old and new customers happily. He has a diagnostician's innate ability to probe his guests' likes and curiosities — and invariably recommends a dish or special that will not only satisfy but will also broaden perspective and appreciation.

Best Pizza: Now, my husband is from Illnois so for him hands down is Pizzeria Duo in Chicago which is the first Pizzeria Uno. Deep Dish all the way, our first trip to Chicago, we had to go there for lunch and everytime we go back, yes that is our lunch. Now, when we lived in CT we had to drive 40 minutes to Rhode Island for a Pizzeria Uno, now in Rhode Island driving more than 15 minutes for anything is bizarre to a real Rhode Islander. They never really understood us driving from CT to have a Pizza but it is a treat for my husband. In Charlotte, we had to drive 30 minutes for it, here in Maine an hour which we will be doing next weekend. It is right near the mall, so Christmas shopping and Pizza can you beat it or what.

Personally, I am a New York Style Pizza Girl - My favorite is Park Lane Pizza on Park Lane, West Hartford, CT at one time in my life I lived next door to this pizzeria. We would go for a pizza and pitcher of beer and not spend more than $20, we were in college so for us that was and still is the best pizza. Calzones on the other hand must go to Luna's in West Hartford, CT.

Best Chowder: Being from New England, I love Rhode Island style - Clear Broth, Authentic New England Chowder - Cream Broth but to be honest my favorite is Manhatten Style - Red Broth. Hard to distinquish which is best, Rhode Island Style I would go with the Black Pearl in Newport, RI. For New England Style so many to choose from to be honest. My Aunt Joan always had the best recipe, Fishersman Wharf stand in San Franscico served in a Bread Bowl is my top of my list but my absolute favorite was The Fisherman in Noank, CT when Jim Bennet was the chef. He has moved on to Zach's now in Stonington Bourough which makes me think that is the best now. It is definately the best Hotdog place.

This is it for now, I will write more of my restaurant choices in my next post.

No comments: