Thursday, December 20, 2007

My favorite memory of Christmas came in 1970. My brother was born December 9, 1970 and I was 6 years old. I was so happy to have a little brother, and I would not let anyone walk on our front lawn until he came home from the hospital. Which in those days was about 2-3 days, not like now 24 hours and you are home. It had snowed the day he was born, and I just knew he would want to see the snow not stepped on our ruined in anyway, I was 6 so to me, I figured he could see even if he was 3 days old.

That Christmas Eve, I could not wait to show off my brother to the family. He was so chubby and cute, and the only way my mom would let me hold him was sitting down, I was so little but thought of myself as a little mother. My brother was the last child, and only boy in a family of 3 girls, my parents were divorced within the year, so this was my brother’s first and last Christmas with the whole family. We obviously, did not know any of that going into the Christmas Season.

Every year, since I could remember my mom’s family had Christmas Eve, when all the aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins would meet at someone’s house and we would celebrate together. We would eat, laugh take silly pictures of the all the kids in front of the tree, and dress up. We also got to open 1 present because it was Christmas Eve. My Grandmother was the patriach of the family and it was a tradition that even today ( I am 43) years old, my family holds on to, it doesn’t seem to be fairly divided about who would host it anymore, it seems to be between my two sisters and one cousin.

Myself, I live in Maine and usually in small apartments, 2 cousins live in MA, 1 in Vermont and single and another in New Hampshire, we always have it in Connecticut. I would love to host it this year, but doubt people would travel to the woods of Maine ON Christmas Eve. My mom wants to change this tradition this year, to be the Saturday before and then have just have her children and grandchildren up to Maine.

I got to thinking, how my grandmother might feel about that? She has been gone for a long time, my husband never knew her, but in my heart I believe she would of loved him. He is very fortunate to still have a grandmother, who he calls more than his own mom. We grew up so differently, but he respects that for me Christmas Eve is very important to me. The first year we were in Charlotte, NC we went to Chicago, to see his family for Christmas. After that, I was determined to only go to my family for Christmas. I will change my mind over time, but it is very important to me, and being a loving husband he understands.

My sisters each have (2) children a girl and a boy, my Brother now, has (2) little girls of his own, and he is so devoted to his family, and I know he has always wanted that family connection, he feels he lost out on a family. My mother did remarry when my brother was 6 years old, but to him it does not make up for your dad. We always visited my dad on weekends but it just isn’t the same. I don’t think any of us did not go unscathed in the divorce. I realize it is a part of life, but if you look at all of our choices in life concerning our own romances, there is definite decisions made because our family was divorced. I do not blame either of my parents seeing them now, I can not even imagine them ever married to each other.

Last Year, we drove 13 hours from Winston-Salem, NC to celebrate Christmas with my family. On Christmas Eve after my family function, I drove to see my best friends Thomas, Claudette and Tom G., we met at Thomas place in Noank, CT. On the way to Thomas’s, a deer hit us, I was going to try to back out of seeing Thomas but so glad I didn’t. WE had some cocktails my husband fell asleep and we drank, talked and played games, how was I do know Thomas would be gone before the next Christmas?

When I lived with Thomas we had such fun decorating for the holiday and having friends over, one year we decorated all the trees on the front lawn in a different color lights, it looked like you were driving into Candy land. Thomas loved Christmas, he would wrap the most beautiful packages, none in the same wrapping paper, every person had a special gift and special wrapping. Last year, he only shopped in Noank and if you have ever been there, there is only 2 places to buy items. I got a Noank beach towel, and a Carson’s Baseball hat. I love them and cherish them. This summer, I had the towel out every week at the Pool.

He loved all holidays but Christmas was so special to him, one year, we just stayed in our pjs’ all day watching the Christmas tree, eating, drinking and invited everyone over who had done Christmas with their families and needed some space. He was so a part of my life and my family, this year will be so different.

I hate how things have to change, but do really truly understand. So, this year we might celebrate my family Christmas early, will it really matter as long as we are all together? Grandma, can you believe we still carry on this family tradition? I think she would be happy to know the family still gets together at least once a y ear.

What does your family do for Christmas, what our your sweetest memories?

No comments: