Thursday, December 27, 2007

Well, it is going to be 2008 very soon. I love to look back, and then I don’t, because sometimes it is so painful.

In September 2006 we moved from Charlotte, NC to Winston-Salem, NC. I started working at the Twin City Quarter (Embassy and Marriott), and we settled into a wonderful house on Peaceheaven road. We moved in the pouring rain, the year before in 80’ weather so this was better wasn’t it?

Stephen got a Sales Position with Flow Auto at the Used Parking Lot, long hours. He liked his boss John very much, then in November John was promoted and they got a new boss, not a nice guy.

In November 2006, I found out one of my ex-boyfriends Seth Hicks died of liver disease. Seth was one of those ‘nice” guys, who had some issues with alcohol, but was never nasty or mean. He meant well for everyone, I heard that he was doing better health wise, but then I read his Obit in the newspaper. I just never thought I would outlive old boyfriends since most are at least 5 years younger than me. It makes you wonder what life is all about.

In December 2006 we drove 13 hours to spend Christmas with my family, on Christmas Eve on our way to see my friend Thomas, Claudette and Tom we were hit by a Deer. I was driving and it made me feel awful because it is Stephen’s car. On Christmas Day, we drove back to North Carolina with a cracked windshield, I could not drive during the day, and it gave me a headache. It did not feel like Christmas at all way too rushed.

2007 has been an interesting year, we started the year out with our new friends Alex and Michelle, we started out with Cheese Fondue and then ended the evening with Chocolate Fondue, and can you tell we were having a theme New Years Eve? We played “Cranium”, a game I recommend with 4 or more people, so much fun.


January came in with about 50’ weather in North Carolina so it was not so bad, Stephen changed jobs again with Flow, this time over at the Value Mart, he seemed to like his new boss and the hours were better. We started working out every morning to “Turbo Jam” , a gift from my sister to help me lose weight.

February was a bit warmer, work for me was picking up big time, groups, groups, groups! Which is good, I love being busy. Unfortunately, in February my friend Wayne LeCardo was killed in an automobile accident, due to an underage kid on a cell phone going to fast, he was also killed. Very Tragic accident, my heart goes out to Kate Wayne’s Widow. Wayne and Kate were the couple you wanted to be, definitely soul mates, always just loved being together.

This was the 2nd death unexpected of people I knew and cared about throughout my life. My first thought, was oh my gosh who is number #3, because these things happen in 3. That scared me but after months of nothing, I put it aside in my head.

March came and with it our 2nd wedding anniversary. We went out to dinner to Noble’s with his parents who came to visit from Illinois. It was a nice trip; I did get a red potato peeler. I am not a cook that is my entire husband but I have decorated our Kitchen in all red appliances, Kitchen aide is the preferred vendor of choice. It was also my mom and dad’s birthdays, we sent cards. I drove to Hilton Head, to spend a few days, with my mom, Sister Lynne and niece Lauren. It was a little cold the few days I was there, so we drove to Savannah on St. Patrick’s Day, so crowded. We had such fun, we got Lauren in with no problem (she was only 19), took pictures galore, if I can find them I will post (the ones I can). What a generation, Mom 60ish, Lynne 45, Myself 42, and Lauren 19 all parting together, I am sure people were looking at us funny.

April came in and the weather was beautiful spring in North Carolina, hardly any rain. His sister Staci, and her daughters Brittini and Traci came for a week vacation from Lacrosse, WI. The girls did get to swim in our pool, and spend time with Uncle Stephen. Stephen moved again, this time to E-Commerce at Flow, no more sales on the floor; his job was on the phone and to set appointments for the sales team. Hours 9-6pm, so much better for us, then his 9-8 or 9-10 nights when he first started at Flow.

May came and with it we started taking more day trips, up to Mount Airy, NC, to see the Vineyards all over Yadkin Valley in North Carolina. It was so wonderful to see the interstates (highways) with the beautiful flowers in bloom. We did go to Charlotte, and have dinner with our friend Lori, and stayed over after a little too much wine. Also, in May we went out to dinner with Alex and Michelle to “Melting Pot” in Greensboro, NC. We love Melting Pot so worth the price. Just do not eat too much during the day; you will make up for it there.

June came and I was working out more and more because my 25th class reunion was coming up at the end of the month, and due to going alone, I wanted to look “Fine”.
I got in on Friday, and Claudette picked me up, I stayed with her, and we went out
to dinner at AZU with Thomas and Tom. Thomas was being a jerk, not wanting to be there, then embarrassing the waiter, I would not be surprised if the waiter spit in his drink or food, Believe me if I was the waiter it would have been my first thought. We dropped him off at his apartment and we went out for a few more drinks. Saturday, Claudette and I called him for him to come meet us for Breakfast, we only got his Voice Mail. We hung out all day, and then I left for my reunion. Around 11pm, I called and Claudette came and picked me up, we were suppose to meet up with Thomas but he bailed out on us, if I knew what was going to happen in another 6 weeks, would I have treated him any differently? It was a wonderful weekend.

July 4th, we hung out at the Pool at the Complex, made a big dinner and pretty much that was about it, nothing special for us. It was now about 95’-110’ and my jeep has no A/C so I was driving the Sonata to work and picking Stephen up after work. It pretty much faded right into August, only the weather was worse then ever, then on August 23 everything changed for me, in the morning I applied for a job in Maine at the Sebasco Harbor Resort, not really thinking they would call me, but I really wanted to get back to New England.
At 10am, I received a call from my friend Donna Russo from the Spa at Norwich Inn, she did not want to tell me but Thomas had passed away. I collapsed, screaming, crying not a good scene especially since I was at work. Here was my number 3, but not my best friend, love of my life who I just talked to a few days ago. It was too much to bare.

I remember calling Stephen right afterwards, he told me he was coming to get me, and I was like no’ I have to work, he was very firm, and no I am coming to pick you up Then I called Claudette, she was driving I told her to pull over, then I told her. She was on her way to work, and they sent her home. Stephen came and picked me up, and he had already booked my flight, and was making arrangements. Here is a man who lets me do all that for him, he took charge. I appreciated that so much, when the phone rang, he screened all my calls. I did call everyone I knew who would want to know. My worse call was to Michael, Thomas’s love of his life. Michael is not gay, but that did not dissuade Thomas and his feelings for Michael.

I flew home, helped his family clean out his room, the funeral was a blur to me; I know I spoke but could not tell you what I said. I can not believe he is gone even today, months afterwards, his phone number still in my cell phone and his email. Thomas called me 3 days before his death to apologize for his behavior in June and that he was working through it, and was doing much better.




Was it one of his last calls? Claudette said, he had left her a few messages, but never got to talk to him. I got a call from Maine, the day of the funeral, and made and appointment to phone interview on Monday, of that week. I flew up to Maine on September 14 to interview on Saturday, September 15, 2007. I was offered the job, and was to start work on Monday, October 8, 2007. The person I was replacing was going on Maternity leave October 20, so I could get 2 weeks of training in with her.

I left on October 5 with my mom and her husband who flew down and then drove me up, I stayed on the property and on my days off looked for places to live.
Stephen packed up the house, and moved up here by October 20. Those two weeks away from each other was so hard, I missed him so much. We ended up staying on the property until November 8, when we moved into a rental house, 10 minutes from the Resort.

I will admit, after Thomas’ s death nothing was going to stop me from moving back to New England, this job was not paying the best, but to me it was being close to my family and friends.

November 2007 came in moved into our new place, mom and her husband came over to help unload the storage shed, we put up our pictures and making it our home. Stephen Feng Shei it and laid out our furniture. We drove to Avon, CT to spend Thanksgiving with the family it was incredible. My sisters and my husband played pool, sang and danced the evening away.

December 2007 – I have already talked about the first snow fall, our house in the woods and our first Christmas up in Maine. It is snowing again today, as I write this which is fine. We have no idea what 2008 is going to bring, but in my heart and soul, I know it will be better than 2007. I can get through almost anything, 2007 was a tough year, it started November 2006 and just seemed to get worse. Too many unexpected deaths, with men who had so much more of life to live.

My husband is working on getting his home business of the ground, on
www.hdbizblog.com: Please look it up, to see if it something you might want to use, we will see you in 2008. Thank you for all your support in 2007.

No comments: