Tuesday, December 11, 2007


I was one of the lucky people who came of age in the 1980's. I went through the archive to find what I thought was so 1980's and it was Madonna. It was fun going to google and hitting pictures of the 1980's and to see what pops up.

Things you forgot, or did not realize was during that time, Exxon Spill, Princess Diane marries Prince Charles, Dynasty was the number 1 show, and of course Shoulder Pads!!
The reason I am bringing this up, is that my mom's second marriage broke up in 1988, and this week my stepfather (even though divorced he is there for me) wrote me a letter and wants me to pass something on to my mother. It is for her eyes only, and to me it is so romantic. I was trying to explain to my husband what they were like when they were together. It got me thinking of how so many things change in life, and decisions are made right or wrong, but you have to live with what happens.
Look at Madonna, in the above picture, she started out in the business and right from the start she was a strong woman who had her own ideas of style, rights and songs, now look at her? She is married, keeps a low profile, raising her two children and writes children books, did you think the Material Girl would ever have that in 1986?
I saw that Miley Cyrus had a 80's theme birthday party, which makes me feel so old, my friend Lori in Charlotte, NC loves going to clubs that are 80's retro. To her it is retro for me it was my life. I have really thick hair, so you can imagine how big I could tease it, think Jami Gertz in Jersey Girl hair. I remember when Demi Moore was on General Hospital and John Stamos as Blackie.
Sometimes, I feel as if I am still in my early 20's and ready to go out to the clubs to dance to Billy Jean with my shoulder pads so big you have to go in the door sideways. What was with the socks over the nylons in heels? It made my feet sweat so I have no idea why we did that except it seemed to be the trend at the time. The other trend I really hated was dressing like your favorite performer. There were alot of Madonna want a be's but my favorite is my sister Gwynne, we would call her "Girl Gwynne" because she dressed like guess who?
"Boy George" big over coat and hat.
The ironic thing is in the 80's she followed " Grateful Dead" for a whole summer, but she was definately one of a kind. I loved the 80's and part of me would love to go back, but only if I could go back in time with the knowledge and the confidence I have today. Would you go back in time if you could? When, and why? What decision would you change?

No comments: