Saturday, December 22, 2007

Yesterday afternoon, I was released early from work, so my husband and I went shopping to get the last of the presents. The picture above is how I felt, croweded!! I realize going out the Friday before Christmas is crazy even worse is after work today, we are going out again. This time more selfish, I want a new shirt for Christmas Eve. Ever since I was a kid my mom either made us or bought us new outfits to see the family.

I can not afford to get a whole new outfit, so instead a new shirt will have the same affect for me, why is it for women 1 new item puts us at the top of the world? I for one, only need 1 new item on my person that makes me feel good about myself and I am a happy camper. I actually like all the presents I got this year for my family.

For my 12 year old neice Sarah I have brought her a blank journal. I started writing a journal at her age, I still have a journal. I look back at the ones from my early teens and on through all my relationships, break ups, tears and friendships that come in and out of your life through time. I find it touching, and when my memory fades somewhat, I can look it up for what really happened or how I was feeling at that time. To be honest this is my favorite gift, I gave one to my neice Lauren at this age, she is now 20 years old, still writes in her journal and is quite a wonderful writer, so I want to urge Sarah to take control of her emotions.

For a girl of 12 years old, you are not really a little girl any longer but not even close to the woman you will become, it is a hard time for you going through it, and tougher on your mom who wants her little girl back, but realizes that is not going to happen. Sometimes, you need a place to write everything you are feeling and expressing without judgement. I truly believe in keeping a journal. One of my therapist told me keep it but do not read back through it until at least a year after you wrote it, which every since I have done.

For my 10 year old nephew William my husband picked out a book for him, he is extremely smart and interested in everything. My husband was a smart boy, who's teachers did not engage him in school so he immersed himself in books (still does), and he wants to encourage William that it is ok, to be smart, just make sure you have the information to back up your convictions.

For my 17 year old nephew Michael, I went out looking but could not find anything he might like, I called my sister to find out what bands he likes thinking a Tee-shirt, even if not the band he likes, something to give me insight to my nephew. I remember when Michael was born, and that summer we went to Martha's Vineyard, I had Michael in my lap the whole time I love having neices and nephews. Now, he is taller than me ( as most people are due to I am 5'3), he has gone through the nasty stage 13-15 years old of boys. When I saw him on Thanksgiving, he gave me a big hug and at one point we were talking on the couch, he was so insightful on our family and funny. He is a good kid and may not be the book smart, but he will go places.

Lauren 20 years old, my 1st neice, is smart, funny, beautiful ( as my husband points out), in a classy way. She has had the same boyfriend since High School he is going to be a doctor and he goes to Georgetown, while Lauren is at University of Maryland. I had her as my Maid of Honor at my wedding because she is such a special girl, and who can pick between my sisters? She wants to finish college and move back to Avon, CT where she grew up, she loves her family and her hometown it will be interesting to see what happens in her life and all her decisions.

I have (2) More neices Lizzie age 4 miss personality, Maddie age 2 miss drama. These are my baby brother's daughters, it is amazing to see how my family has grown. My husband and I have not been blessed with children so I do watch out with more interest sometimes for my neices and nephews.

Isn't that what the Holidays are for?

No comments: