Monday, June 25, 2007

In the last week, I have had (2) People of Africian American decent say I am raciest. Now, if I was raciest or have made comments or treated you like you were different or lower than me, yes then I deserve it. The fact is, both of these people do not like the word, "NO" or if you want that item there is a price.

Hotels are a business we are not here for whenever you need us, we are here to make a profit. Our sales people go out of their way to book smart business so we can stay in business. So, when we tell you, You can do that, but there is a price it has nothing to do with race, it is the fact there is a price for Audio Visual, if you add more meeting space and your rooms do not pick up there is a price, if you add a bar, there is a bartender charge and a minimum $ of money.

One of my clients went to the Sales person who booked the even and LIED said, all I ever say is "no' without an alternate which is not true I always give him a alternate and a $ that goes along with it, which is what I think his problem is with the fact I will not back down. THERE IS A PRICE FOR EVERYTHING!! Are you going to walk in to McDonalds and say, I want a Hamburger and Fries, but only want to pay for the Hamburger because I am in your business, you should give that to me.

Another, group of mine signed a contract and they are in attrition and now they are saying, we are trying to rip them off and they would not have signed it if they knew about it and we must be raciest against them. HELLO!! It is a contract, don't you usually read one before you sign it? This one wasn't really directed at me, but my co-worker who actually did the contract, but this client is very upset at the hotel in general.

The other person was being a b****to me ( co-worker) so I ignored her an walked away then I hear her say, I do not like Colored people, that is not true you were being a b**** so instead of saying anything I walked away. My stepfather, "always taught me if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all."

My issue is this, why if someone is not saying what you want to hear, some people say it is because of my race? Do you figure that is always the reason it couldn't possible be you are in the wrong, or a b****. Believe me, I can be a B**** when I want to an I don't say oh, she/he doesn't like me because I am white, it is because I am a B*****. When did it become acceptable not to take responsible for your own actions?

It is not just one race using this, it is many even us Whites have said it. I personally, know a few men who have said, they didn't get the job because they had to hire ______ ( fill in blank) to cover their quota, I believe quotas went out at least 10 years ago, didnt' they? I have been in the hotel business for well over 20 years, and never before have I seen so many people saying, it is because of my race, you are ________( fill in blank). My last hotel, our whole banquet staff was Spanish Decent, they were wonderful they worked well together, their managers were French, Yugolosiva and Spanish no one ever pulled, you are doing it because I am----.

The hotel before it was a religious issue for my banquet staff, and they brought it all the way to the courts on discrimation, not even race the fact of their religion which was not the issue they lost, it was because in banquets you are required to work certain days especially Saturday and Sundays for social business most of the time, the Banquet Manager would work around their schedule but if absolutely necessary we need you on a Saturday, you can not yell Raciest against my religion. Then do not take a job that requires it an when they ask you in the interview if you have a problem working certain days tell them and they will decide to hire you or pass because they can not promise that every week. If they can, then get it in writing so no one is surprised f something comes up.

Every hotel has issues but most of the time they are because of different personalities not different races, religion etc. It is not just happening in Hotels look at all businesses across the country. I am a strong Yankee with a big mouth, I do not mean to offend anyone. With my clients I am professional an courteous even when you are fighting a price of something. Don't I deserve the same? IF on the other hand I have offended you an you feel uncomfortable working with me please let me know, I will make sure to apoligze because if I did it, I did not mean it or I said it wrong. Just like when you do emails please read over and over to make sure your tone is not taken the wrong way, very easy to do in EMails. Dealing with emails more an more we all have to be careful with our tone.

My point is do not assume someone is rude to you or disrespectful because of your differences it could be your too sensitive or some people come off compeletly wrong when they say things. My husband tells me sometimes I am too abrupt, I am working on that, and most of the time will just keep my mouth shut for a few seconds before I say anything to make sure it comes out how I mean it too.

No comments: