Thursday, June 28, 2007

I love reading true crime novels and if there is a movie about it, I watch it. This morning after my work out I had the tv on an the movie on was " The Boston Strangler" made in 1968 about the case of the Strangler which took place 1962-1964 and 13 women lost their lives.

Actually, this is an unsolved crime, yes Albert DeSalvo did confess to (11) of the murders, but he was never tried, when he died in prison he was in prison for a sexual assault not murder. There is some people who speculate that he was not the Boston Strangler. Was he or wasn't he? It is a very interesting case isn't it? Could there have been more than 1 killer? If so, did he change cities after DeSalvo was in prison or did he change how he did the killings so no one would suspect the Boston Strangler was still out there?

You do not just stop, alot of speculation on this case. The first case that had caught my attention was when I was child it was the Son of Sam killings. Summer of 1976 July 29, 1976 Donna Laurie 18 and Jody Valenti 19, were shot while sitting in a car in front of Donna's apartment. Donna died, Jody did survive an at the time there was not alot of press on this killing. He did not start to taunt the police until the Sixth Shooting which was April 17, 1977 an a few blocks from the first shooting. David Berkowitz, is still alive and in prison for these crimes.

Another case, closer to home for me was Michael Ross from Putnam CT, I was in High School when the first few Crimes happened, also the police did not really think it was a seriel killer until after April and Leslie were found. Wendy Baribeault was a key case to finding Michael Ross.

I did not know Wendy but my cousin did he actually had a crush on her in high school. She was a nice girl who was walking .5 mile from her house to the store when she was killed. Michael Ross was in her house earlier in that week trying to sell insurance to her parents, back then I remember our insurance man coming to our house too, selling or upgrading insurance. It was very common. Did Michael see Wendy there an watch for opportunity?

His murder victims (seven of the eight were also raped) were:
Dzung Ngoc Tu, 25, a Cornell University student, killed May 12, 1981
Paula Perrera, 16, of Wallkill, New York, killed March 1982
Tammy Williams, 17, of Brooklyn, killed January 5, 1982
Debra Smith Taylor, 23, of Griswold, killed June 15, 1982
Robin Stavinksy, 19, of Norwich, killed November, 1983
April Brunias, 14, of Griswold, killed April 22, 1984
Leslie Shelley, 14, of Griswold, killed April 22, 1984
Wendy Baribeault, 17, of Griswold, killed June 13, 1984

Michael Ross was finally executed May 13, 2005, 24 years and a day after his first killing. That the authorities know about. I hated Michael Ross for so long, because over those 3 years, my Stepfather who was always strict became more so, because it seemed young girls were getting murdered in our area of the state ( I am from Norwich). I was angry that someon would rip apart our innocence and feeling of being safe in our small part of the state. I used to get in agruments with people who were against the death penalty and saying it is inhumane, look what Michael Ross did to these girls and their families and talk to me about inhumane. He deserved to die it took way to long for a confessed murderer who even stated in one interview, "If I ever got out I would do it again." He had no guilt or remorse for what he had done.

There have been many cases of Seriel Killers, an how long it took to find them because they change the way, change states, even change cities and it gets very hard to track them. Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Damher to name a few. I wish I had studied police work, because I would of wanted to find these men and make sure they got what they deserved for ripping apart peoples lives for their own sick reasons. Seriel Killers are unique because in alot of cases these people seem normal an have jobs and careers, and just have a "sideline" It is very bizarre to me.

What if Albert DeSalvo wasn't the Boston Strangler who could it have been? Where did he go?

1 comment:

Harry Stover said...

It seems that Hollywood is going to remake the movie about the Boston Strangler. I think Ben Afleck was supposed to be guy who does the dirty deed.