Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sometimes, I believe people think I am not that smart. I admit, I become lazy and am not living up to my potential. I was the girl in college who would rather socialize then actually go to class and apply myself. Also, I do have to study in order to actually pass a test, unlike my oldest sister who can listen to a lecture, never take notes or study and get a B+, my gosh if she study she could of been a A+ Student, but why bother when it is really no effort?

I am saying this because lately, I realize that even though I love weddings, I would much rather move into the position in my career where, I can mentor other people and implement plans to make more business. I have been in hotels for well over 15 years, and different types of hotels. I have worked the big Convention hotels, the small boutique hotels, the spa hotels and the individual hotels not corporate owned. Each hotel has qualities I like, the convention hotels are fabulous because you have so much space and get break up the rooms almost anyway you need to please the client. On the other hand, not very intimate or pretty for that special wedding.

Boutique hotels usually great wedding settings but restrictions on timing and amount of guests and limited guest rooms, hard to do destination weddings with not alot of rooms. Hard to book corporate in this enviroment for reasons of A/V, types of guest rooms same with Spa hotels.

Right now, I work in a Resort Property that is only open May - Nov, hard to book corporate due to how far we are from anything, and nothing in the winter. Our Space can not accommodate large conventions, weddings are wonderful here, but again because we are seasonal we have minimums especially in Spring and Summer for guest rooms.

Every hotel has something, so you have to work your niche, and advertise correctly, smartly so you are definately getting your money's worth. I have thought long and hard if I was to build a hotel from scratch which type would I build and what special qualities would I put into that hotel? If you had all the money in the world what qualities would you look for in a hotel? As a traveler what do you look for? These are questions Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt ask all their clients to mention a few. Almost all chain hotels have different type properties to get every different type of clients.

I would want to focus on (1) type and make it a success, and improve as the clients change. I want my hotel (imaginery or real) to make and impact on the Hotel business. I would approach Donald Trump ( if I had the balls and a good marketing plan) because here is a man who is not "In the hotel business", meaning it is not his only thing in his portofolio but he definately appreciates people with drive and the ability to stand behind their concept. I have a concept in mind and due to reading all the publications for Hotels in the industry it is new and fresh. I believe it will work, have to love to dream when I have money... Do you have a dream for business or just to retire?

I want to bring my life into a new phase and I really enjoy working and love the hotel business it is in my blood. I knew it the first time, I worked in a Marriott in 1987 as a hostess, that I had found where I want to be in my career, now I am at a crossroads to have to make it even better for myself.

No comments: