Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Restaurant Review:

Saturday night, we went out to celebrate my husband's new job and being Valentine's Day weekend. I asked people I work with where they suggest we go, some of the suggestions were:
Harraskeet Pub - Freeport, ME - Right now they are having their Game Menu. Now, I have been here a few times, and to be honest not all that impressed with the service or the food. I was willing to try it again but still was not sure, so I kept asking around.
Montsweag Roadhouse- Wiscasset, ME - Definately, casual but fun have live music, food was comfort food. Yes, I think we will try this but not for this occassion.
Solo Bistro Bistro- Bath, ME - Which is the closest to us, but they are closing as of Sunday for a few weeks, so I was not sure if it would be great right befor they are closing for a bit.
Blintiff- Edgeware, ME - Right on the water, romantic feel to it.

So, I made a reservation at Blintiff's for 7pm on Saturday night. We got there at 6:30pm and even though we could of sat down right away, we decided to have a drink before dinner, so we went to the Bar. They had a duo playing in the corner, fireplace going, wood panelling, clean bar area, with a few nooks for people to go off and be alone if felt the need. Very New England feel, you can see the dining room, but there is a glass partition so you can not disturb the people dining in there.

Dave was our bartender, friendly guy, Stephen and he talked about Tatoos, because Dave has quite the selection which he designed, and Stephen has 3, so it was quite the discussion, and Dave is from Rhode Island so they both knew where the other had gotten their work done. Myself, I hate needles so even though I love them, I do not think I will ever actually get one. Then we got seated and our waitress was Kayla, 22 years old, fun!! Stephen let her know right off the bat, they we are old restaurant people. He threw things at her, and she threw them right back.

It was so much fun to watch them go back and forth, she did not get flustered and has a quick wit, Stephen thrives on this. We started with Escargot and Carpiccio, the Escargot was in a puff pastry, garlic butter and herb could you get any better? The Carpiccio was served with a salad. Then he of course, got the Lobster and Crab Bisque smooth taste incredible. Then our entrees, mine was Tournadoes (MR) with a Bearnise and Bourdeaux sauce, and risotto, all the flavors worked so well together. When I ordered it, Stephen was worried too many flavors would be overpowering for me, but my meat was a perfect MR, I did not really need the Steak knife provided it was so tender.

Stephen had orderd "Rack of Lamb" ( his standard), but for some reason he was served "Veal Oscar", he took a bite and his mouth was watering, he loved it!! It took 3 more bites before Kayla came back and realized her mistake ( most likely because the table who actually ordered it was looking for it), Stephen decided to stick to the Veal Oscar, he just loved all the flavors, and ate every bite, I never even got offered a bite. The Potatoes were deep fried, incredible.

They had my favorite dessert Creme Brulee, but I was so full , I could not even do dessert. Our whole experience was wonderful, even the mess up with the food, turned out for the best, Stephen moved out of his comfort zone. Ironically, when he cooks he loves to experiment, but when he is paying for it, he goes for either Rack of Lamb or Prime Rib everytime. It could be because these two items he does not usually cook at home unless we are entertaining then he makes Rack of Lamb.

We got to sit right on the window, and I am sure in the Spring and Summer it is worth it to sit there, but on a cold February night, I could not see much but the outline of the water. We will definately be going back, I saw their Brunch Menu and would love to try that sometime soon, maybe in March for Easter or something.

This is one of our recommendations for Mid-Coast Maine. Blintiff's on the property of Sheepsott Harbor Resort on Rte. 1. Even down to the fact they have a scented candle in front of the Lobster Tank, I guess to give the Lobsters themselves some atmosphere before they are taken away.

OUr next dinner out will be in Southeastern CT for our 3rd Anniversary, we are not sure where we are going yet, but I will definately do a review.

No comments: