Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Do you remember the song, "Downtown", when I was a kid my mom for some reason loved that song, and would sing it whenever we went to Downtown Norwich. At that time Downtown Norwich, was something to see. We had Sears with the Escaltors, and of course at Christmas Time it was Santas Workshop. I used to love to go through the Sears Catalog and circle what I wanted for Christmas, and my other favorite time of year was back to school shopping.

All the new cloths, and school supplies ( I still love office/school supplies). Sears was huge back then, the building now is State of CT unemployment office. Back then right next door was Midtown Movie Theatre, and down an alley was the Midway Movie Theatre, I remember when I was 12 years old and got to go to the movies with my friends alone, I saw, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" With Gene Wilder. It was the most amazing movie to me, it could of been because it was my friend Melissa and I and no parents. It was a Sat. Matinee, and I can tell you it was packed they just kept selling tickets back then, we were sitting on the floor, and two to a chair.

Woolworth had the best lunch counter, my grandmother would take me for tuna fish sandwiches and chips, and a root beer, to me that was grown up. Next to that was a art supply shop my grandmother loved, especially since she was an artist. Across the street was Reid and Hughes the High end Department store, when I was a girl scout that was where you got all your gear, dress, sash, badges. I would stare at the badges and imagine them on my sash to alittle girl it was a thrill to get a badge for your sash. When you went from brownie to girl scout you walked across a bridge, and your parents were there it was a celebration. Do they do that anymore? I realize now, it is going from being a child to becoming a woman, but to me at the time I was just excited everyone was there for me.

Downtown Norwich, there was always something going on, then on Route 32, a new movie theatre opened with (2) Screens, and brand new, so people didn't come downtown to often for movies. I saw Star Wars, Episode III, at the Midway Theatre in Norwich, I think that was the last movie I saw there, when it was rereleased 20 something years later, I saw it at the "new Movie" theatre on Route 32, because that was always what I called it even after 20 years. It is gone now too. The Midtown Theatre in the last 20 years, has been night clubs, different ones and as soon as there is trouble which there seemed to be alot, it closes and a few months later a new one opens.

Now, it is Otis Libary which has always been downtown, moved across the street, and grew, which I am so happy for it is nice to see all the revitalization of my hometown, Downtown Norwich is coming back again.

I have been reading in the New London Day, how there is a movement to rename downtown to be "The District" insted of Downtown New London. WHy I ask? What is wrong with the word Downtown? When we moved to Charlotte, NC there downtown area is called Uptown,NOT DOWNTOWN, that is also how they can tell if you are from Charlotte or just visiting. The problem with Charlotte, is there are so many different areas of the city, and each has their own style, there is no real "dowtown" to walk around and get the feel of the city.

In Winton-Salem, NC, no one goes downtown in the evening, they go to the Mall Road, or on the outskirts, they are trying to build up the downtown area, but unless there is a huge event it is not very busy. There a few Restaurants that are making it wonderful to go downtown, when George Clooney, Renee Zellwegger were filming "Leatherheads" Last summer, people came downtown in droves trying to get a glimpse, I can tell you Jonathan Pryce, Ed Harris did go to 6th and Vine, my favorite restaurant a few times. I only saw George on the street going to the set even though he was staying in the hotel I worked in, Renee every morning was in Starbucks, boy is she tiny, I didn't always recongnize her, but when she talked you could tell.

So my question is what happened to the Downtown areas in Cities? For me it was always a thrill, I love Portland, Maine, you go down to Congress Street and there is so much going on, to me it is exciting even now as and adult, I love downtown areas in little cities. So what is wrong with calling it Downtown?

No comments: