Thursday, December 07, 2006

This Christmas Season with so much turmoil in the world, too bad we can't all go back to when we were a child an remember it as such a special time of year, where all we cared about is family, sledding, and the big guy himself Santa Claus, writing our letters an getting our picture taken and trying so hard to be good, so we don't get coal in our stockings. I want everyone to think back to your life at that time, when you were 6 or 7 and thought Christmas was the greatest time of year.

When I was 6 years old my brother was born Dec. 9 of that year, and it snowed for a week, I would not let anyone walk on our front lawn, I wanted my baby brother to see his first Christmas snow perfect. It worked, when he came home from the hospital in our Station Wagon my mom held him up to see the snow. Even to this day my brother is a winter freak the colder the better. I woke up that Christmas at 5am, and picked up my brother (almost dropped him), and he an I sat under the Tree watching the lights waiting for my sisters and mom and dad get up and open presents. About what seemed an hour, most likely 5 minutes I started yelling for everyone to get up "SANTA HAD BEEN HERE!!" It was the last Christmas my parents were married, but I clearly remember everyone getting up and stumbling from their beds, because Jon and I needed to open presents. Granted Jon had no muscle control at that time, but in my memory he was as excited as I was that 1st Christmas.

In my family we open our stockings first and to me then and now it is so important to me, and usually the most special. I held Jon and opened our stockings together, to me it was magically, I got a baby brother and Christmas all at once, for a 6 year old it is amazing how Santa works. My sisters are a year apart and very close, now I had someone for me to be close to and guide. The years have changed us but my brother and I have always had a connection and I believe it was because Santa brought him right before Christmas, he was a month over due, so I believe Santa had a plan. I have found this wonderful editorial , please read it an remember your Christmas when nothing in the world could go wrong.

This is a letter to the editor of the The New York Sun in 1897.


Dear Editor—
I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?
Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this letter and article in their entirety. What great writing!

Anonymous said...

ps - I love the story of your baby brother, too. Touching and so sweet...