Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My new job is so boring, and sometimes I wonder what is next for me career wise? I have done so much in hospitality and wonder what is my next step and when should I start thinking about it? Yesterday, I took a seminar on Time Management, and while sitting there listening I realized now is the time to think what I want to do in the next 5 years, 10 years.

Do you remember when you first start interviewing for a position that question usually comes up? I myself usually answer with what I think the interviewer is looking for that I am going to stay with this company and just keep moving up. When usually in my head I am going, I have no idea I just need a job.

Well, I realized this week that I am 42 years old not 20 and if I am going to make a change I need to do it NOW. Otherwise, I will be sitting at a desk detailing events for the next 20 years of my life and do I really want to do that? I realized about a year ago that after 15 years of helping brides do their weddings, I did not want to do that anymore but felt I needed to stay in a hotel enviroment, so I moved to the corporate end of things. A little better than brides in the detail portion but day of, brides are usually so happy and bursting with love. On the corporate end which I refer to as "MZ (meetingzillas) the people who plan the event and if (1) little thing is wrong that you can not control the meeting is ruined and you are stuck with them for the next 2 days kissing butt.

I really just want to shake them and say, is it that important that Mr. so and so forgot his laptop and we do not have one on sight to rent to him? Is it our fault Mrs. so and so forgot her presentation and all her print outs, can we just use your computer for the next 4 hours to fix that it is only 11pm? I realize it is important but if it is nothing I can control do not blame me. I will fix what I can. I can fix room set up, tempature, food choices, Audio Visual and evening parking if need be. I am not a miracle worker if a participant forgets his presentation in Milwaukee unless you want to buy me a plane ticket pretty much I can't fix that. We are there to service your group, even we have our limatations.

I am sorry for my venting but I am amazed that at 42 years old, I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up, when do you think that will be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be 42 in March, and boy, do I know what you mean. I wonder at the fact that I've never really enjoyed any job I've been paid to do for longer than it takes to learn it and get bored with it. I feel an urgency to DO something else with my life, but meanwhile my husband is trying to complete his master's (five more months thank GOD), and I've gotta bring home insurance and a little cash to plug one or two holes in our savings. After years of taking care of my family and home, and completing what appears to be a worthless degree in English, I can't make enough to pay half our bills. Depressing. If you have any bright ideas - I'm listening!