Wednesday, December 13, 2006

As Christmas is approaching and I look at all the commericalism in the world, I like to remember the simpler times. I am only "42" but so much has changed in my life time, can you just image what your parents and grandparents have seen change in their life time?

Let us start with TV, growing up we had (1) and the whole family had to agree what to watch, our only choices were ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. The remote was worthless because you only had 4 channels and to get 1 in completely you had to use the box to move the antennea around and it took a good 5 minutes to get it right. Sunday evenings I can tell you for my family was 60 minutes and the Wonderful World of Disney, if I stayed at my grandparents it was Lawrence Welk hour and then Disney. Do you remember when Walt Disney would come on and introduce the movie?

Video Games - Atari the tennis game two sticks going up an down and lobbing a ball? Not the games of today, which seem so real it is freaky..

No one had a computer in their home and the ones in the office were huge and you would have 1 for the whole office not one on each person's desk. Today the computer programs went down at work, and email oh my what will we do to survive?

Christmas when I was growing up was all about family, on Christmas Eve my whole family cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents on my mom's side get together and celebrate. We had so much fun an bad pictures in front of the Christmas Tree, each family would take a turn to host the annual event. We still do this but over the last few years, my sisters and one cousin have stepped up to host the event. I now live in North Carolina and when in CT did not have a house, I have always wanted to host this event, someday.. Now though there are in-laws to deal with so not all my cousins come and our grandparents are gone, and a few Uncles and Aunts are no longer. Family was so part of it Christmas for me, and I wish I could get that feeling back that I had as a little girl.

This year, my husband and I are traveling to CT to celebrate with my family, last year we surprised his mom, it was our first Christmas as a married couple and thought she would like that, but it was so hard for me not to be with my family. Including last year, I had only missed 3 christmas's with my family, 1987 when I was in London England, 1991 when I was stupid in my 20's and thought I could do without my family and be selfish.

I do think back on growing up and how much has changed over the years, and I can't wait to see what the next 42 years bring. I am still old enough to remember the summer of Watergate, watching President Nixon leave the white house, President Ford pardoning him soon afterwards. The Hostage Crisis, a few of the Vietman vets coming back in body bags, the news coverage of the whole thing, the first time a war was in our living rooms to better keep us informed. Jim McKay talking about the killed Olympians in 1972 Munich, 1972 Mexico Olympics when Mark Spitz took 7 metals ( making me want to reach that level of swimming). Watching the Olympics was amazing who can forget Nadia getting the first "10" in Olympic history? Or my favorite 1980 USA Hockey team winning, they were the under dogs !! Watch the movie miracle if you want to relive that time.

We will never forget 9/11/2001, ask anyone where were they? It is like for the generation before us asking where were you when Kennedy was shot? Things you will never forget.

This Christmas try to remember what made it so special for youself.

No comments: