Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It is the Christmas Season!! Technically, I can not really decorate or start thinking of Christmas until after December 1, my husband's birthday. As far back as he remembers his mother has celebrated his birthday on Thanksgiving and he feels it has never been very special. We have known each other for 3 years and every year I try to make it as special as I can for him. So, on Saturday December 2, I will be putting up my decorations.

I have written out my christmas cards, to me they are very personnel. I just do not like email Christmas Cards, I do like any other holiday but that one. When I was a little girl growing up, I remember we used to get so many Christmas Cards, we would hang them up around the house and it just looked more festive in the house. My mother always had extra cards and extra gifts just in case someone sent her a card and she had forgotten them, or someone stopped by unexpectly. I always thought that is so thoughtful of her, and wish I could be that way. I seem to have enough money for just the amount of gifts I need, and never any extra cards. This year I do have extra cards, because my husband bought me a box yesterday.

My mom is the most giving person in the world. When I was in high school, she bought my friend her prom dress because she couldn't afford one, she took in a troubled teen friend of mine for 2 months, until the girl hurt me deeply then my mom protected me as she always had. She has just gotten married for the third time, and even though she is retired she asked me, do you want me to get you a washer/dryer set? I am like mom, NO you can not afford it, we will get it when we can buy it ourselves think of yourself for a change. When my mom married my stepfather (2nd husband), the first christmas while my sisters and I were at my Dad's, His children all 5 and their spouces and children came to our house, they brought gifts for everyone but my mom. How rude, she made a great brunch for them, made sure she had the perfect gift for each of them, and then they bought her nothing, and sat there and smiled while they opened presents and so did my stepfather. I have never forgiven them for that slight, I know it has been about 25 years since that Christmas and they are not married anymore, but it is a time for sharing and loving why intentionally hurt someone?

My biggest wish is that my mother is happy, healthy and settled. She deserves the best in life and I miss not living close to her, especially this time of year. My mom is my best friend in the world, she makes me laugh an think about what I want out of life. I admit I don't take her advise that often, my mom's beliefs are alittle off, but she always means well. My sister and brother depend on her more than I do, and I think that is why she offers me things. My mother is the queen of cleaning out her closets and sending or dropping off boxes of stuff to us, never a letter or an explanation. My husband and I got a box on Monday of Curtains, (1) Chair Cover and tablcloths, what makes this extremely funny is my mom has never seen our house or how we have decorated. What is funny, this is new to my husband and I explained when I lived close to her, I used to get furniture or boxes left at my house or apartment and my roommates would be like where did that come from? Oh, my mom!! Her giving nature makes me laugh and I love her for it...

Everyone, have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

I am not a tyrant.

The Husband