Friday, November 17, 2006

Ok, today I was reading my home paper and was horrified to see a 'Shooting in Putnam", so of course, looked on it and was even more appalled about the reason. It seems today the Playstation 3 comes out and two teenagers thought, "Hey it is $500-$600 for one of those, lets go rob the people who are standing in line." Well, a "21" year old who most likely has worked hard for this item, was not about to give up his money and was shot. WHY?? To him you wonder was it more important then your life? To the shooters, are you that motivated by greed that you would shoot someone for $500 or $600?

Why were two teenage boys out at 3am, did their parents even realize they were gone? What has the world come to that, these boys don't want to work for something but what it given to them? I think our society tells young children you need all these items, get them anyway you an instead of when I was growing up in the 70's, work for what you want an you will enjoy the item more.

When I got my first paycheck when I was 15, I went out and bought a turn table and 10 45's, I was never more excited then the fact I bought them with my own money, then asking my parents and I had that turntable well into by 20's. It was my first earnings and I admit it meant more to me then anything in the world. I felt I had accomplished something and a sense of freedom for being able to pay for it myself.

Why do the young people today have no sense of accomplishment or pride in doing a good job? Is it society, parents or just plain inbred laziness?

Just a thought.

No comments: