Thursday, November 02, 2006

I should let everyone know I have A.D.D. so sometimes I will start something and my mind will waunder and I can not spell if you have not noticed already. For my job, I book and detail events at a hotel I have notes for everything, when a client is talking I am taking notes, I am sure they find that rude at times, but I do not want to miss anything. This way I do not lose track it gives me something to do with my hands so I can't look around and think of something else. I want your event and your experience to be as close to perfect as I can get it.

I have been in the hotel business for well over 20 years, starting as a Hostess in a Marriott restaurant in the 80's. Then little bouquet hotels (less than 100 rooms) and now a Convention Center with 460+ rooms, an 100,000+ square feet of meeting space. The reason I am sharing this is to let some clients know something about the hotel industry, WE ARE A BUSINESS.. When we give you our prices for banquet meals it is because in order to maintain our property at the standards you expect, and the service we must charge this prices. We do our homework and look at our competetion and are usually the same pricing or $1.00 more per item if that much sometimes it is a few cents.

Basically, you get what you pay for, but we have to not only worry about food costs, we have labor, lights, tables, chairs, linens to consider and depending on the property security. Please realize we are here to make money. Basically, when you go to McDonalds or a Steakhouse do you say? Your entrees cost to much this is what I am willing to pay? I have no problem customizing a menu to be within your budget but do not be shocked when it is not Filet Mignon or Shrimp and is Chicken and Pasta or only (1) entree depending on the budget. We want to help you and work with you but please be reasonable and $12.00 inclusive of service and tax is not reasonable for a plated dinner.

Contracts are not something you sign, but feel you can not live up to as if it doesn't really matter, we put those attritution, food and beverage minimums into place for a reason. We forecast on what you say your doing and turn other business away because we are planning on servicing your group, when your numbers drop and you decide to either cxl or downsize a week before the event it affects our bottom line like every other business. We do understands things happen and will work with you, like rebooking within a reasonable time, but if you decide to go somewhere else or cancel all together, our contract is there to protect us and yourselves.

People seem shocked that airline flights have gone up in the last few weeks, realize unless someone is in that seat you can not make that money up with an empty seat. Same with hotels if no one buys that meeting room for the day we can not get that back.

Please be considerate an realize we are a business, just like your business. We are here to work with you, but be realistic and not expect us to always bend because the limited hotel down the street will undercut us again you get what you pay for better or worse.

No comments: