Friday, November 24, 2006

I am very angry today. I have just gotten to work, yes I am working on Black Friday. I work in Convention Services at a Hotel basically, I detail events coming into the hotel. My anger today is directed at selfish uninformed customers who come into the hotel when it comes to banquets. Here are some steps to live by if booking a banquet event in a hotel:
1. There are policies in affect for a reason when it comes to guarantee of how many people you can accommodate at a function. We have to staff, and ensure enough food most hotels is 3 days prior to the event and my hotel is no different.
I had a group of 30 people coming in for a Thanksgiving Dinner, then at 430pm on Wednesday before she left a Voice Message on my machine to add 21 more people, I did not get this message until Friday morning and even if I had received this message I could not do that, we can not get food on such short notice and especially not on a holiday. DO NOT ASSUME I RECEIVED A MESSAGE UNLESS I CALL YOU BACK!!
2. Banquets are not restaurants you can not pay as you go through the buffet line, you have to give back up for payment.
3. When we tell you we need your menu and counts as soon as possible, don't say we can't do that, we are busy or we will not be getting together for a week, then do not expect to have a successful event.

We want to service you and make your event a success but if you sabotage it the only one you can blame is yourself. Realize we are a business, what our contract states is true not just "until you realize you are not meeting your numbers". Please treat us with respect, we only want a successful event it does not do us any good to have an unsuccessful event, word of mouth is huge!! We are professionals, gone to school for this..

No comments: