Monday, August 13, 2007

My husband and I are might be on the move again! Even further South, I am interviewing for a position in Charleston, SC, I have already had (2) my third interview is this Friday at 10am. I am glad it is in the morning, even though since it is at the end of the week, I will be stressing about it all week. This position will be a huge boast for my career.

As I have been imagining what this position will entail and I look at my position now, I am scared. This is a Assistant General Manager of a hotel position, I know I can do the job if they give me the tools, which since they have a 4 week training for it, I believe they will. Will I be a good boss? The few times I have been the "boss" it was when someone else didn't show, or in a restaurant where I moved my way up in the ranks so everyone knew me. My husband of course, is being very supportive and can not understand where my insecurities are coming from. This is from a man who never seems to have any doubt in his abilities.

I have been in the Hospitality Industry well over 20 years, and have always wanted to move out of the sales office but never thought it might actually come to it. That someone might be willing to take a chance on me, is so weird to me. I mean it might not happen, an I realize it, so I am trying not to get excited. We are taking a trip down to Charleston this weekend just in case, I have not been there in 15 years, since we picked my brother up on Paris Island when he got out of boot camp. My husband, has never been there. I really wanted to move back to New England, but Charleston is suppose to be beautiful an it is on the water, BIG THING FOR ME!!

When you have never been farther than 1 hour from the Ocean, being 5 hours away is so hard. The Ocean has always been good for me, an these last 2 years being so far an not really going to beach at all, has stunk. I know my family really wanted me closer to home, but if this position works out in another year, I could be promoted to General Manager an would be moving yet again, if we are lucky it will be a position in New England. At my age, how many more chances do you get? It is funny, when I worked for the Hilton in Mystic, CT an we had a female General Manager, I remember getting a bit tipsy at a work function and telling her that someday I wanted her job.


Now, if someone told me they aspired to that, I would be flattered and take them under my wing and show them how to achieve that goal, nope she rarely talked to me again. My gosh, I was a room service server, it is not like I was moving into that position the next day. I have worked almost every department since I started in this career, so I am going to bring my background to make a difference. If this happens, I am sure I will have even more stories from the South. If not, we will be in Winston Salem another year before we are moving again.

No comments: