Friday, August 10, 2007

Heat!! I can not believe how hot it is outside. Yesterday, when I got into my car it was 106' on the Temp. Gage, YEAH!! The heat and humid is making me feel worse than ever, now tomorrow a cold front is moving in it is suppose to get down to 89'-90', some cold front. In Mystic, CT is is currently 57' with rain storms. Why can't we get that? Washington DC is 92' with isolated Thunderstorms, and in Chicago, IL 87' partly cloudy an in Key West, FL it is 97' but feels like 103', the furthest south an now North to Portland, Maine is is 78' cloudy. I talked to my mom an yesterday in Portland was beautiful the heat broke and they are having a great weekend.

WEATHER:

A heat advisory means conditions will be too warm to allow the body to cool off and heat-related illness may occur, according to the National Weather Service's website. u think it is worse than past years for the weather? I do,


The weather center also warned against leaving pets or very young children in cars, "even with the windows slightly open because the temperature inside the car can quickly climb to 135 Fahrenheit" (57 C).

The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), which provides electricity to seven of the states affected by the heatwave, reported a record demand for power as residents switched on air conditioners. "On Tuesday, we set a new record of 32,888 megawatts and we could have a new peak today (Wednesday), depending on if we get late afternoon showers," TVA spokesman Gil Francis told AFP. "The temperature is supposed to be one degree more than yesterday, when it was in the mid- to upper 90s. And that's where it's supposed to stay for the week, so peak demand will be over 32,000 megawatts all this week."

In Washington, five air conditioned "cooling centers" opened to provide relief for the homeless. "We are also handing out water to homeless people on the streets," Rosalind Redmond of the Washington Shelter Hotline told AFP. The Washington DC Housing Authority (DCHA) opened the geysers on fire hydrants at city-run housing developments. "We have 'street showers' in housing developments where there are lots of kids," Dena Michaelson, director of public affairs for DCHA told AFP as she returned from inspecting one of the gushing sources of relief from the heat.

Temperatures in Washington are forecast to reach 102 Fahrenheit (38.8 C) by Sunday. The high temperatures have been caused by "warm humid air reaching northward from the Gulf of Mexico, and a warm air mass in place over the east. The dry ground conditions of the drought that has affected some places contribute to creating higher temperatures," Hedge said.

One of the areas hit by drought was the Tennessee River Valley, which has seen the lowest level of rainfall in 118 years, according to the TVA. then again I have thought over the years, and the older I get the more I am bothered by the heat.

When I was a kid, I remember being outside playing, running through the sprinkler or slip an slide, was always fun even water balloons anything to cool off. If it rained my best friend Melissa an I would go out an stomp in the puddles even sit in them an just not care that we are soaking wet it was a challenge to stay cool. We did not grow up with a/c, if we went to the beach my mother would draw all the curtains in the house, an have the fans pointing in the living room, that way when we got home it would be cool. In our Living room we had a big picture window so without the curtains drawn it would be like a sauna in there.

The best part of the picture window was if it was a good rain, lightening storm we would turn off everything electric (back then people were worried) and sit on the couch and watch the storm. I love rain storms even today, that is most likely why, my mom always made it fun not scary. I think as I have gotten older my body can not adjust to the heat, an I think it is worse than ever but most likely it is the same as it has always been. I have to remember back to when I was kid, to know August no matter where you are is ALWAYS HOT!!

No comments: