Thursday, October 26, 2006

This morning when I woke up an it was still dark out, and knowing that on Saturday morning we will be turning the clocks back which is signalling winter, I felt and kind of hoped I was back in Connecticut. As the weather has turned colder, days shorter and Halloween coming up fast, I admit I miss being in New England and home.

To me New England will always be my home, mostly because it is what I know, where I grew up and where the family is who I miss desperately. My dad is coming to see me but not long enough really only a few hours, and then they will be gone again. I was hoping they would come on Saturday and we would have all day Sunday but nope, they are coming on Sunday late afternoon and leaving early on Monday. Never thought I would want to spend more time with family but I do desperately.

My husband will not like hearing that New England is home, he has my heart and our reasons for leaving were an are still valid, but it is such a magical place. The Fall fooliage is not as pretty here as it is in New Hampshire,the festivals with the hot chocolate, apple pies, apple fritters, pumpkin muffins etc. People are up there getting ready to hibernate for the long winter. Buying firewood, stocking up on sweaters, snow shovels ( you need a few) due to you will break at least (2) a winter and of course WD-40, so when your car door is frozen, can't get your key in to drive to work you need WD-40. I always had windex in my car because your window will get so dirty you can't see to drive. It may sound awful but to me it is something I miss.

Down here is just not the same, yes it is getting cold and we might get (1) snow storm but nothing is as magical as a New England snow storm and the parties we all have in the winter just to get out of the house an see other people. If you have never been to New England go Mystic CT is one of the most magically places in New England, not too much snow due to on the water but the residents are great. Go to the Harp and Hound for a pint of Guiness, or Daniel Packer Inn for their hot bread and garlic, Seaman's Inne to sit in front of the fireplace in the Pub with your hot chocalate and Peppermint Schnapps. Enjoy..

No comments: