Friday, May 16, 2008

I am so excited for next weekend, my family is coming up to Maine, my sister and brother and their families, my mom & her husband. My Aunt and Uncle, I am happy beyond belief.

You may ask why? Well, for my career, I plan other people’s weddings and family reunions but my husband and I have always lived in small apartments or in North Carolina, so besides our first Thanksgiving as husband and wife where his family came and my mom and her husband came down to Charlotte, NC, we have never entertained my family.

My sisters for years have switched off and hosted Christmas Eve, and my Aunt and Uncle a summer picnic around July 4th, and of course, growing up, my mom has always entertained family and friends.

This year, my work had put out a family and friend rate for May, so I informed my family to come up and take advantage of it, and then on Sunday we will have everyone over to our house ( 5 minutes away) and have a picnic for everyone, we went out last weekend and bought picnic items, because I have to be color coordinated and matching, priced out a grill which we will most likely pick up this weekend. We bought croquet and boco ball, we are ready.

The house we rent has a huge yard, so it is perfect for a picnic, and we are so close to Popham Beach, I told my family if it is a beautiful day we can push back the start time for everyone to hang out at the beach and then come over afterwards for a cook out. I have set up our wicker furniture and firepit, and am getting ready for the big day.

My family is very important to me, I never realized it until we moved to North Carolina and I feel I have missed so much during those two years, even though it was a good time to really work on our relationship without my family getting really involved because my family does, and I am no exception, if someone has an issue in the family, my husband likes to make fun because it is like a phone tree, you hear from one and then we are on the phone with the others discussing and trying to figure out a way to help the other one.

I admit, I am excited to show them the property where I work and for them to experience it as a customer and give me feedback. I have been in hotels for 15 years, and to be honest besides my wedding my family has never really been to a property I have worked at, and this one is so special so I can not wait until next weekend.

How are you planning to spend Memorial Day? What is your family like?

No comments: