Saturday, April 19, 2008

Do you ever daydream about your "DREAM JOB"? Over the years I have asked people what there dream job would be if you did not need to actually make money?

One boss told me, she wanted to drive the Beer Cart on the Golf Course, another has told me, to be a crew memember on a sail boat, not racing just sailing the world. The problem is this man has never been on a boat, kind of hard.

I have a friend of mine who actually is a Captain of a Sailing Yacht, he used to call me in the winter and tell me which exotic port he was in, especially when it would snow in Connecticut. He is 45 years old and never married, he has had many relationships with his female crew, but then they are usually in their 20's and end up leaving and settle down. I believe my husband's dream job would be to be a author, he enjoys working at home and making his own schedule.

My job I do love, it is as a Wedding Sales Person at a Resort. Funny, I listen to people and there are alot of women out there, who think what I do would be their dream job, you watch the wedding shows and it looks fun, seriously it is hard work, especially trying to get the sale. Pinning a bride down, and her mother is not an easy task. Also, once the sale is made it is so not over, you have a year to deal with all the stress of their wedding, and if you are a good sales person, there are about 10-15 weddings you are dealing with to take place in a 4 month period, it may be there only (1) but not yours.

My Dream Job? Well, in my 20's it was to work at a Huge Hotel in downtown NYC or Boston, of course, ( I would be in charge), in my early 30's it was to be General Manager of a little bouquet hotel. In my mid 30's, it was to travel the world working at hotels to improve them and move on. Late 30's opening my own wedding consultant business and get out of the hotel business. When I turned 38, it was to open a bookstore/coffee shop and make incredible sandwiches, Soups, Salads on a small island, and become part of the community, and leave the wedding business all together, of course, it was after a really hard year, I left the Hotel/Resort, I loved and went to the Holiday Inn pit of the world, hated my boss, and realized I would never get married. Everything changed 3 weeks later, I met my husband, got a new position back in the Bouquet/Resort business, and had a new boss who actually respected me.

I am a social person, and love meeting people and I think the Bookstore/Coffe Shop is still my dream job, believe me, I know it would be tough work, but truly think it would enhance my life. You may wonder why I am talking about this, it is because, I feel I am not helping the resort I work out right now, I am at a stand still on where to go to bring in business. I have done the bridal shows, word of mouth, going to after hours to network, short of opening the telephone book and cold calling people, as if "EXCUSE ME ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY GETTING MARRIED? FAMILY REUNION? CELEBRATION?"

I love where I work, and enjoy everyone I work for and with, and I want it to be a success, part of me, thinks I could lower my prices but then as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. We are only open 6 months of the year, and in a resort, you need to make your money by the Guest Rooms, ACTIVITIES AND THEN FOOD AND BEVERAGE. An empty hotel room, can not be resold the next day, it is like a airplane seat, once the plane leaves and that seat is empty you can not get the revenue back from it. Yes, I am feeling sorry for myself, but I see my bosses faces and I feel I am letting them and everyone down. I think every sales person, believes this at one time or another in their careers.

Today, is a beautiful sunny day on the coast of Maine, and my two appointments rescheduled later in the week, I am disappointed on the other hand, can you blame them it was a LONG WINTER!! On such a beautiful day, wouldn't you want to be out and enjoy the day?

What is your Dream Job? Are you in your dream job?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I always knew I would enjoy playing in the sandbox with my kid for a few years and after that I see msyelf doing some painting whie she's in school. I'm still hoping that later part works out.