Friday, April 04, 2008

As we all know I am in the Hotel/Resort business and I sell Weddings and all social events. I do concentrate on weddings because lets face it there is money there.. Believe me brides are not as happy planning their weddings as some people may think, seriously watch, "Bridezillas" and "Who's wedding is it anyway?".

Well, I love the new resort I work at on the Coast of Maine. We are a small resort, and a small staff year round, due to being a seasonal property. Lately, DRAMA!! Now, I have been told I am a drama queen over my life, and my career. When I worked in Mystic, between myself, Thomas and Claudette we either were involved in the Drama or at least knew about it and helped it along. Not a smart move. So, as I have gotten older, I try to stay away from Drama at work so not professional.

I had being doing a good job here, until recent events. A woman who has worked here 7 years, today is her last day. Now, I have only worked with her for 5 months, and appreciated her attention to my wedding groups, but did notice her inability to go with the flow of the new way of doing business. Granted, this resort was treated like a big family, but it made no money. We were brought in the new management team to bring in money, and keep this business growing.

She feels pushed out by her direct boss, and the new GM. They gentlemen are both amazing at their jobs, and only want the best for the property, they did not force her out they are taking the resort into the 21st century and into making it a profitable place, and she could of stayed, but in a different capacity. Well, since she has given her notice, there has been gossip, backstabbing and down right awful things said, about some people on the property.

The other day, we had a meeting on this subject, and my heart went out to the GM for him having to make it understood that these decisions are not made lightly and to quote a cliche, "It is Business, nothing personal". Myself, my direct boss, the Front Office Director are basically, known as the teachers' pet. Part of me is happy, but the other part does not like the fact of the division. I agree with everything that has been done on the property. I got caught up because I was talking to another employee who was bad mouthing my direct boss, and I made a comment on the end, and the HR director heard me and thought I was bad mouthing too. NO, that is not what happened, you only heard part of the conversation, if you are going to eavesdrop, please do it correctly.

I did have a disagreement with my boss yesterday, I don't usually stand up for myself, but I had to, she was not understanding and neither of us would back down. It came down to, she thinks I am doing double work and I am not, I just am very detailed on this one subject. Even our co-worker who was in the meeting could not believe what happened between the two of us. Believe me, I am not the type to push a point, but I was correct and she wasn't' this time, and I am not apologizing our disagreement, we are WASP"s after all we will ignore it and hope it goes away.

I am stressing because of the Drama of the people who have worked here for years and the newbies, everyone likes to be liked, but reality is it is business, and we all need to be productive in order for the business to succeed. So my question to the universe, is when is business more personal?

No comments: