Monday, September 24, 2007

Something happened to me this weekend at work an I wanted to get it out to the public. Things NOT to do to anyone.

I had a irate client, Director of Football at University of Maryland staying at the hotel I work at, with his team. Now, my niece goes to U of Maryland an loves it. It is a beautiful campus an stellar academic reputation. To be honest in all my years in the hospitality business, I have never handled a Football team an in the South it is "HUGE". My counterpart who deals with the home team on the other side of the hotel, helped me with what they will need, how to handle the buses, what to ask etc..

My contact was this man ( Director of Football), an he was booked back in 2006. He had alot of stipulations, I read everything through, did not want to miss anything. According to his stipulations, they would prefer to go with a hotel who is used to doing Football teams, we do SEC teams not AAU teams, so we knew this was an important piece of business. I had sent him the BEO"s (Banquet Event Orders) which is the document that circulates throughout the hotel, it is VITAL it is correct in order to have a smooth event.

As a client if you do not see something on the BEO, let me know, to make sure it is correct. This man, had seen 100 lbs of ice on the BEO, but it did not state bags. Wouldn't you question it if you wanted it in bags? He also, stated he sees it is a "Continental Breakfast", he MIGHT change that he needs to talk to the Head Coach. He never got back to me. He signed his BEO's as is.

*** STORY ****
On Friday Night, my Banquet Captain calls me around 8:30pm, saying this man is looking for his bags of Ice what bags of Ice? Luckily, she took it upon herself and went an got the Bags of Ice.

Saturday morning, I come in early to make sure we are all set for this breakfast. The front desk calls me an says, there is someone from this group to see me. I come out and this Person:
Proceeds to start yelling at me in the Lobby, that it is suppose to be a FULL BREAKFAST with Chefs for the Omelette stations? I told him, he is wrong. His comment was "NO" we discussed it an the price of the Chef's and where to put them. "NO" you left it with me that you might want to change to a Full Breakfast and get back to me. Keep screaming, I should mention he is Ex-Military an about 5'6, was making a show for his players, so I am sure it did not help that a "Woman" was not backing down an he was not going to bully me.

He went downstairs and our Banquet Chef had taken care of makeing it a full breakfast, NO OMELETTE station but everything else. He proceeds to come upstairs and tell me, " The Chef downstairs is helping me will be 10 minutes", I was so mad, I turned around an said, "Well, I am glad someone is helping you".

He admitted to both my chef's, he should read his BEO's. Yes, you should we give them to you to approve to make sure we did not miss anything. We are all human if we have missed anything let us know, an we can fix it well before you get on the property. We want to be a success an pro-active not Re-Active.

He never apologized to me, he actually kind of threatened that we were awful an won't be back. DID I MENTION THEY LOST TO THE HOME TEAM?

****

This man was disrespectful an it was his own fault. The Hotel did an amazing job, check in very smooth, I even took the Head Coach upstairs myself an ran back downstairs and grabbed his luggage since it was on the wrong bus. The Bellman/Parking Attendants made sure we were prepared for all 4 buses to arrive at once, Housekeeping worked extra hard to make sure the rooms were ready by 1pm, when check out is Noon that is great.

Any issues, were his fault for not reading his BEO"S and he would not take the blame. Hotels work on a system an if you hold back information or do not give us all information that is your responsbility. I wonder if University of Maryland realize what a bad example this man is for representing this school?

Believe me, if I miss something or if it my fault, I will take responsiblity, but I will not do that if you are the one who made the mistake an did not do your job properly.


No comments: