Thursday, April 09, 2009

I am bragging about my article in the Citizen Union March 31 and today, Granite State News, here is the article below:



I missed my brides, I missed New England…and I love Lake Winnipesaukee!"

All three are reasons why Paula Smith is excited about her new position as function coordinator at the Wolfeboro Inn in Wolfeboro.

"Paula brings with her more than 25 years of experience in the hospitality industry, most of them in vacation resorts similar to Wolfeboro," said Karen Beranger, the Wolfeboro Inn's new general manager. "We are delighted to have her join our team as we raise the bar on the quality of everything here at the Inn."

Smith grew up in Norwich, Conn. where her first job, at 15, was behind the cash register in the family hardware store. As in most family businesses she learned how to do everything there by the time she went off to college.

Working on the front line in a retail business taught her first hand the importance of customer service, a lesson she applies everyday in her current career. It's all about the turkey sandwich, but more on that later.

While studying at Central Connecticut State University, Smith took a part-time job as a dining room hostess at the local Marriott, where she settled in for a while. Working for the Marriott Corporation gave her the opportunity to learn many aspects of the hospitality business and do something else she loves too: travel!

In the early 1990s she came to the Inn at Mystic in Mystic, Conn., one of her "most favorite properties."

"It was a small, family-owned business and I booked the weddings, planned the weddings, and worked the weddings. That's what I love to do, and that's what I'll be doing here at the Wolfeboro Inn."

From Mystic Smith's career took her to the Norwich Inn and Spa in Norwich, Conn., a much larger resort where she looked after conferences and special events as well as weddings.

"The Spa is owned by the Mashantucket Indians, the same people whom own Foxwoods," she explained.

In 2005 Smith married and moved with her husband, Stephen, to North Carolina to work as a sales manager for Embassy Suites, first in Charlotte and then in Winston-Salem. Stephen's job in web design, marketing and training allows him to work from home, so it's Paula's career that dictates where they live.

"I was basically selling space, almost all business conferences. It didn't take me long to find out I missed my brides and I missed New England!"

The Smiths moved to the Sabasco Harbor Resort, just outside Bath Maine, where she worked in sales for this 150 acre resort right on the seacoast. When the Resort fell on hard times last year, Smith began looking and Hay Creek Hospitality, the new owners of the Wolfeboro Inn found her.

Smith is no stranger to the Lakes Region. Her cousin owns a summer home on Winnipesaukee's Rattlesnake Island and Smith has visited many times.

"Being right on the lake, Wolfeboro has much to offer those who want a destination wedding or family reunion," she continued. "And we have lots of options at the Wolfeboro Inn." "I love what we're doing to the 1812 Room, which is perfect for a small intimate gathering, 50 to 60," she said. Named for the year the Inn was built, this venue has lots of glass and a view of the lake. As part of the more than four million dollars being spent on Inn renovations this winter and spring, some of those windows are being replaced with French doors that will open onto a new outdoor deck for 40 people.

"And that darling gazebo overlooking Wolfeboro Bay is perfect for a ceremony," she added. "We can do up to 300 people in our new tent, very upscale, from the Exeter Tent Company, or if you want to be sure to control the weather, our ballroom accommodates 150 and it has its own lobby, fireplace, bar and even a bride's room. It's air-conditioned or heated, so you know everyone's going to be comfortable. It's all new too.

"And don't forget the Winnipesaukee Belle!" Smith reminded. The Belle is the Wolfeboro Inn's floating function facility. A bit of a replica of a steamboat with side-wheels and two decks, the 65-foot-long fiberglass boat accommodates up to 125 guests and is popular for weddings, receptions and especially rehearsal dinners. Like everything else at the Wolfeboro Inn, she's being spruced up too!

"I didn't get married until I was 40. My wedding was at the Norwich Inn where I was the function director. I didn't know it, but my food person always put a couple turkey sandwiches, chips, and bottled water in the bride and groom's room for after the reception. I'd always sent strawberries and champagne but everyone does that. I appreciated that turkey sandwich, and the thoughtfulness it represented, a whole lot more! I've done it for every wedding since."

"That's what it's all about, the small personal things. When I first meet with the bride and groom, I try to find their vision, what they really want. I tell everyone to set a budget and stick to it. I'll work with anyone on any budget. And they'll all get "the turkey sandwich treatment

No comments: