Saturday, July 03, 2010


It is July 4th weekend! As far back as I can remember it was the fireworks that seemed to make the holiday special. When I was little and we would spend it with my dad, we go to his mom' s house, she had a pool, and all day we would swim and eat, then when the sun went down my dad would bring us over to Washington Park in Groton to watch the fireworks.
As, I got older, and boyfriends, we would watch them either at Ocean Beach in New London, or at Fort Griswold in Groton. Then it became bit of a competetion, Groton vs. New London. The Fireworks would be a week after the 4th, and the Gucci Brothers would put on quite a show with music and such. One year, an ex and I lived on Thames Street in Groton, and we thought we would be able to see them from our house, not so much, we walked up the street for a better view, they really were incredible.
The July 4th after 9/11, was the most moving I had ever seen, with patrotic music playing and looked around with the crowds, and knowing Groton/New London has a huge Navy and Coast Guard community made it seem surreal.

Last year, we watched them from our apartment up the street from the Lake, no music though which I find odd. This year, myself and my DOS have decided to do a cruise on the Lake with our boat and open it to the public, that I think will be so much fun!! The husband is working of course.

No comments: