Thursday, June 21, 2007

I have now lived in North Carolina for 19 months. This will be my 2nd summer here. We moved here for a number of reasons, the (2) biggest being: 1. being the cost of living is less than Connecticut 2. the weather year round is better unless you like snow.

Now, I admit I love the weather in the winter here, mild, sunny still but not depressing an dark. On the other hand, I love when Spring hits and you open your windows and let the outside in, and in the summer sitting outside when it gets a bit cooler and enjoying the summertime. Here you get up an sweat when you open the door at 6am it is already 75' humid and then the newscaster says, " Today will be 95' and the heat index will be 106 which is in the danger zone" It is only June 21, and we are already experiencing what up north I know as AUGUST HEAT.

People who grew up here, say this has been a very unusual spring and beginning of summer. I really do not know, I can't remember last summer because I was so miserable in Charlotte, I do not really think I enjoyed the summer or even liked it all that much. We live in Air Conditioning, you go from the house to the car, where if you are like me I love to drive with the windows down an enjoy the air. I can really only do that going to work because when I get out of work at 530pm it is about 100' in the car and 97' outside, even going in the pool after work is not refreshing because the water is so warm from the Sun.

So, I get home and yes the Air Conditioner is on, I have gotten so used to it, for me when I go home to CT and no one has Air Conditioners they have fans with the windows open I can barely sleep. I feel like a weakling because after 19 months down here, I have no idea if I could live without A/C again. Two summers before we moved down here, I lived in a Loft Apartment over a garage, NO A/C and my windows barely opened, I had 1 fan that I would move from the Living room to the bedroom to sleep, took alot of showers before bed to cool my body down. It is amazing what you get used to in such a short period of time.

When I go up to CT next weekend, I wonder if it will be hot like here, and then I wonder if I will be able to sleep without A/C it will be quite interesting to see how I do for myself anyway.

No comments: