Saturday, February 04, 2012

In the New London Day paper last week, it talked about the charges brought against the latest owners of the "Lighthouse Inn" in New London, CT.  Here is a picture of this once wonderful Inn.  When I was growing up on Saturday nights my mom and stepdad would take me out to dinner, when I had no plans and it was always a treat.

This was one of the places that was on their list, along with Poor Richard or Bootlegger both which are gone, but the Lighthouse Inn had music on Saturday nights, ( not dj ) Big Band, Jazz and people dressed up to go out here, so it was always a production. Servers were in Tuxedo's and knew you by name, along with the Maitre D'.  I think these Saturday nights helped me realize how much I love restaurants and the fact you really make some one's event, evening, just by making sure their night is everything. 

We forget these facts sometimes, working in Hospitality we  may do this 5-6 nights a week but for them it is an occasion and they want to savor and enjoy the whole experience.  My first date with my husband was to the Lighthouse Inn, when we became engaged he had made a whole night of it, and we went to the Lighthouse Inn to hear our favorite band "The Cartell's" and he proposed!

The Cartell's and the Maitre D' made the night so special they played "Unforgettable" and when they played at our wedding that is the song I walked down too.   The Maitre D' took our picture and champagne all around, it was an incredible night. 

It breaks my  heart that this wonderful place has been left in disarray and there is no one who wants to take it on and bring it back up to the grandeur it once was and can be again, it looks out on Long Island Sound and surrounded by some beautiful houses, landscape and of course the water.


No comments: